When I was taking a journal-writing course a few years back, one of the exercises the teacher had us do was a List of Lists. The goal was to write down a bunch of topics we could tackle in list form at a later date (or several later dates). This was great because I love lists! And guess what? This post is going to be a whole list of lists!
List #1: Things I know about myself
• I’m not much of a self-motivator. I need something external–a goal, a reward (or punishment), something tangible. If I were four, I would love me a sticker chart!
• I love the satisfaction I get from crossing items off a to-do list. I’ll even add things to a list retroactively, just so I can cross them off.
• As further proof that I need external motivation, I’ve been known to give myself half a check for starting something, even if I don’t quite finish it.
• The above items mean I’m a little more OCD and a little less fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants than I would like. But–
• I am at times completely overwhelmed looking around my house (or my life) at all the little things that need to be done–that I could be/should be doing. So I make a list, which makes the whole thing a little more manageable.
List #2: To-do
• yoga (5 min.)
• meditate (5 min.)
• plan a meal
• make shopping list
• deposit mileage check
• get gas
List #3: Things I wish I could cross off a to-do list
• get Hubby a job
• clean and pack
• start IVF
• get pregnant
• have a healthy baby
List #4: Things I might actually get done tonight
•plan a meal??
List #5: Things that keep me from crossing items off my list
• blogging/commenting (duh)
•getting sucked into TV
As you can see, I’ve got a lot to do. So I should get to it…right after I hit “publish”…and maybe read a few of your blogs…