Late Bloomers: The Next Generation, or Well, Shit.

If you’ve been reading my blog a while, you may remember when I posted about Hubby and I each moving along at our own pace from the time we were children.  I’ve determined this must be genetic because our embryos are now showing the same quality.  It’s day 5, but none of them have yet reached the blastocyst stage, which means none of them were biopsied for genetic testing this morning.

When Hubby called me this morning (and I couldn’t answer because I was in the middle of a home visit), I was thinking the worst.  That all our embryos had died.  That there would be nothing left, and we’d have to start over with money we don’t have.  I wasn’t exactly relieved when I heard this news instead.  I”ll admit it: I was pissed.  But there’s nothing we can do to make our embryos hurry up.

I asked Hubby to call the clinic back and let them know we agree with the plan to hold off until tomorrow morning to make a decision about what to do next.  Dr. C assured him that this happens in about a third of cases, and it doesn’t mean our little embies won’t continue to develop.

The repercussions of this are twofold: 1) We could end up with only one or two embryos by tomorrow morning (day 6), in which case we’ll skip genetic testing and proceed with a transfer.  And try our luck.  Or 2) more than two embryos will have reached blastocyst, and those will be biopsied and frozen, pushing our transfer back another month.  I suppose there is a third option here, but I’d rather not acknowledge it.

I don’t know what to hope for.  On one hand, I am so ready to get this all over with.  But we’ve been saying all along that we want to give ourselves the best possible chance.  If we have enough embryos, I still believe genetic screening gives us that chance.  Hubby agrees.  I guess the best I can hope for is that we have lots of blasts tomorrow, and we’ll just have to wait until February to get them into my ute.  It doesn’t feel like the best option right now, but my head knows it is.

We still have no information about how many of our embryos are still going.  I had a hard time sleeping last night, and I imagine tonight is going to be even worse.  I’ve told my supervisor I plan to take the whole day off regardless of the news we get.  If nothing else, I’ll need the mental health day to get me through the rest of the week.


19 thoughts on “Late Bloomers: The Next Generation, or Well, Shit.

  1. I’m sorry that your embies are taking the slow road right now. Hopefully they will speed up over night and you get some good news tomorrow morning! Wishing you a short and restfull night, if that is even possible. Thinking of you!

  2. Hey…hang in there. Slow and steady wins the race. Better to have good, healthy embryos rather than try to rush it. Thinking about you!

  3. Shit. Shit, shit, shit. I’m so sorry and angry for you. This is unbelievable unfair. I do personally know of a case where embryos that were on the slower end of development ended up resulting in healthy babies ( the couple was also dealing with male factor), so I’m refusing to give up on these guys.

    Thinking of you. And hoping for much better news tomorrow. In the meantime, sending lots of hugs.

  4. They are so kicking back in their little petri dish going ‘yeah yeah, we’ll get around to dividing and stuff… just watching the latest episode of Revenge first, ‘kay?’ So hopefully they will get going and will develop into perfect little embryos ready to pop in and make a healthy little baby. Good luck, lady.

  5. My friend’s motto was always “slow and steady”. Sometimes that’s the best way to be. Fingers crossed for you and I hope you get a good night sleep. Glad your taking the day off for you time.

  6. Ah crap, I’m so sorry you’re going through this. The agonizing waits we have to go through, I’m surprised any of us can keep our sanity. The good news is that this happens in a full 30% of cases, so it’s not all that out of the ordinary. Thinking positive thoughts for you and your embabies tomorrow!

  7. It took our embryos 6 days to make blast. I spoke to our embryologist and she said that’s totally fine and normal and that the important part is they make it to blast. Still, the wait from day 5 to 6 was the worst. Keeping my fingers crossed that yours continue to grow and divide.

  8. Oh no. Even though it’s not the worst case scenario, news like this is never easy to take. Really hoping that there will be better news for you tomorrow — even if it means having to wait until next month to be reunited with your embies.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s